Forget av 1 – I want my ArcInfo Workstation
Some are calling for the return of ArcView 1 or something simple – forget that! I want Workstation and Coverages. Some of you might say it is archaic and didn’t have the slick gui – well for the “elites” that part doesn’t matter.
Here is why I want workstation back:
- First and foremost – it was rock solid
- It was fast
- Coverages were relatively easy to work with – I have spent most of the day grappling with corrupted shapefiles and I don’t really have a way to fix them.
- I didn’t have to grapple with VBA and COM just to script some repetitive work – yeah yeah python and toolboxes would be ok if I felt like Geoprocessing did what is was supposed to do.
- There was no corrupt registry settings
- I loved the shelf full of documentation. The doc was complete and told me what I needed to know – and they were printed out for me. I really dislike reading off a screen.
- It ran on some platforms I still want to use. I would love to be working on Solaris and ESRI is basically the main one holding me back.
There is my nostalgic wish for the day. There are parts I love about ArcMap/ArcCatalog – but having things crash on me and not behave as expected really harshes my mellow…
I know I said I wouldn’t rant but ArcMap is making me cranky right now and I had to get some of it off my chest. I’m looking to the blogsphere for a little lovin’ to cure my crankiness. Somebody leave me a funny comment so I can laugh it off…